Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bernice's Project Is Complete


News From Bernice

It's finished. My bench is done. This is how it works: We had 6 Tuesday and Thursday night classes from 6-9. The first night we drew our design and painted our tiles. The second time we broke our tiles and started gluing. We could use a hammer or a tile cutter. I found I could control the size better by using the cutter. If you don't have much strength in your hands, the hammer is the way to go.

I found it was easier to place several pieces and then glue each one. When I did one at a time, I forgot where or which way I was going to use it.

After starting the tiles, the instructor invited us to come any time to work on it. That was a good idea because standing 3 hours straight is hard on the back and legs. Some of the ladies sat, but I could never do any thing sitting down, except grade papers!
The last night we grouted. That was easy except for the sides.

It was fun. I recommend it to anyone who likes crafts and likes to meet people. There were 8 ladies in our class from several towns around. It takes patience and talent, two things I'm short on. My design is simple as you see. I'm glad we weren't graded. I would be wearing a dunce cap. The others had more uniform size pieces and more complicated designs. Take a look if you are ever in the Mud Hut.

If you want to do mosaics, I recommend to start small. Maybe a picture frame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bernice, You did a great job! I would love to do a project like that!